Course Number (HLTH5100)
The Nurse Aide Training Program focuses on the fundamentals of nursing and care giving techniques. The 150-hour course consists of five modules. Instructors deliver an intensive hands-on approach to prepare participants with the vocational skills to be a skilled healthcare provider. Participants develop knowledge and skills through theory and practice in the classroom and nursing lab settings.
Upon successful completion of the course and the state examination, participants are credentialed as a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) and a member of the Hawaii Nurse Aide Registry.
Graduates of the Nurse Aide program are also eligible to enroll in the Nurse Aide II: Patient Care Technician (HLTH5120) Program.
No high school diploma required. *Minimum 9th grade reading level required. Complete and turn in Nurse Aide Application Form, Non-credit Registration Form, Physical Examination Clearance Form, and current criminal abstract.
Placement test can be taken Monday - Thursday from 8am - 2pm. Please call the office at 455-0477 two business days in advance.
Upon successful completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Apply standard precautions in the provision of care.
- Demonstrate appropriate skills to assist the resident in attaining and maintaining independence.
- Execute safe and effective personal care and hygiene when assisting with activities of daily living.
- Employ the use of residents rights as defined by state and federal agencies.
- Assess and respond to the social and mental health needs of the resident related to the aging process and impaired cognition.
Click on a course section below to see dates and to add to your cart. Course details and schedules are subject to change without prior notice.
With support from a generous grant from Assisted Living Options Hawaii (ALOH), the Hawaii Pacific Gerontological Society (HPGS) is offering an Eldercare Worker Training Award for $500 (while funds last). Our Nurse Aide Training Program qualifies for this award. Please click the PDF below for information and applicaation, or email Jan Thurman for further assistance.