Course Number (TRAN5510)
This course prepares learners for the State of Hawaii Commercial Driver (CDL Class A) license test. Strong emphasis is placed on the Commercial Driving Manual, Virage VS 600 CDL simulator, Class A Vehicle Inspection, parking skills, and safe operation in preparation for the tests required to obtain your CDL Class A license which include the:
- Air Brake Test
- Vehicle Inspection Test
- Basic Vehicle Control Skills Test
- On-Road Driving Test
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a 5-step Air Brake Test
- Complete a Class A Vehicle Inspection Test
- Demonstrate “Basic Vehicle Control Skills” which include
- Straight line backing
- Offset back/right
- Offset back/left
- Parallel park (driver side)
- Parallel park (conventional)
- Alley dock
- Demonstrate safe and responsible road skills in a variety of traffic situations
Applicants accepted to the Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Training Program must meet the following requirements:
Be 21 years of age or older
Possess a valid State of Hawaii CDL Type A License Permit
To learn of the HI requirements, medical clearances, and application procedures to obtain a CDL Type A Permit from the State of HI Motor Vehicle Safety Division visit:
State of HI Motor Vehicle Safety Website -
Scroll down to: " Highway Safety Section – Commercial Drivers”
Individuals interested in the Commercial Driver’s Licensing training program must apply and meet all requirements before being registered for a class.
Registration is based on the order of COMPLETED APPLICATIONS RECEIVED, FIRST TO QUALIFY AND SECURE TUITION PAYMENT.
SUBMITTING DOCUMENTS: (Mail or hand carry documents containing personal information, otherwise documents may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org)
STEP 1: APPLICANT INFO
Submit the following:
- Non-Credit Registration Form
- Urinalysis and Breath Test – Consent Form – signed
- Controlled Substances Test Results by Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii
- CDL Type A License Permit
STEP 2: APPLICATION STATUS
Contact the office at 455-0477 to determine the status of your application, eligibility and next availability in the course.
STEP 3: REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT
Applicants who have been notified of acceptance may continue with registration and tuition payment
For information or assistance on:
*On-line registration or general registration and payment call 455-0477 or email: email@example.com
* Financial assistance or program advising please complete the online inquiry form and an advisor will contact you.
* Click here to learn more about financial assistance and student support resources.
* CDL curriculum or Custom / Corporate training questions, please contact:
Workforce Development - Associate Professor
Click on a course section below to see dates and to add to your cart. Course details and schedules are subject to change without prior notice.
Days: Su, M, F
Times: 9:00AM to 2:00PM
Contact Hours: 95.0
Location: Leeward Community College
Course Fee(s): $4900
Class will be held every Monday, Friday & Sunday (9am - 2pm) from 07/05/21 - 09/05/21. A more detailed syllabus will be handed out by the instructor on the first day of class.
Participants must have their Commercial Driver License (CDL) Permit Class A at time of registration.
For future course schedules, you may also contact our office. View “contact and information” section on this page.