Course Number (EDU5450)
THRIVE stands for "Teaching Habits to Reach Independence and Viable Employability." THRIVE is a program that offers students an opportunity to gain valuable workforce knowledge and apply soft skills in real-world settings. The program also provides opportunities to interact with Leeward Community College's faculty and employer partners to obtain vital information about how to find a job and be successful in the workplace. Service learning and volunteerism will be introduced to students as a pathway to gain work experience. THRIVE is a post-secondary education and employment experience for job seekers.
Who would benefit from THRIVE?
- Individuals with no work experience or history of continual job loss.
- College students contemplating to leave LeewardCC.
- Individuals who have work/military experience and difficulty seeking and/or retaining employment.
- Students leaving adult education and preparing to enter the workforce.
- Unemployed individuals attempting to return to the workforce.
- People exiting the corrections system.
- Establish work history and increase job network.
- Develop soft skills, such as organization, punctuality, teamwork, conflict resolution.
- Increase awareness of Hawaii-based occupations to make effective career decisions.
- Apply soft skills authentically in the community through volunteering and service learning.
- Experience college life on campus and gain friendships.
Check out our May 2018 Catalog to learn about our partnership with the Youth Challenge Academy of Hawaii. Cadets at the academy participate in workplace skills training which features THRIVE and specific industries: hospitality, culinary, automotive, and more.