Motorcycle Training FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Something to keep in mind: You must be able to safely operate a 2 wheel single track vehicle (i.e. bicycle) in order to learn and accomplish the objectives of the BRC. If you are not able to advance you may discontinue the skills exercises at any time. For your safety and the safety of others you may be dismissed from attempting further exercises. No credit or refund will be issued for failure to meet minimum objectives.

coordinator contact

Bill Labby
 OCEWD main office 808-455-0477
1. Do I Need to obtain a motorcycle learners permit before attending the course?

The answer depends upon the current state that you are or intend to be licensed:

For those that hold a State of Hawaii driver’s license, OR intend to transfer their current license to a State of Hawaii License:

YOU MUST OBTAIN A STATE OF HAWAII MOTORCYCLE LEARNERS PERMIT PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY OF THE COURSE. Hawaii Revised Statutes HRS 286-110 (c) requires a motorcycle permit prior to taking the state approved driver training.

For those that hold a valid driver’s license other than Hawaii, and do not intend to transfer their license to Hawaii:

You are not required to obtain a learners permit, however, you will not be eligible for a licensing waiver after completion of the course. You will receive a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) completion card.

2. How soon can I start my class?
Classes fill fast, normally a 4 week lead time.
3. Do I need my own motorcycle?
No, the university provides motorcycles for students.

4. Do I have to know how to ride a motorcycle?
No, However you must be able to ride a bicycle.

5. How much does it cost?
The tuition is $200.

6. Can I register over the phone?
No. Registration can be done online with a credit card payment or you can walk in to the office during our regular office hours. You can also mail in a check or money order with the Non-Credit Registration form to:
Leeward Community College, OCEWD
96-045 Ala Ike, CE-101
Pearl City, HI  96782

7. What happens after I register?
- If you registered by mail, fax or email, you will receive a receipt in the mail along with a list of what to bring and a campus map.

- If you registered online, you will receive an email confirmation and an attachment of your receipt with a list of what to bring.

8. What kinds of motorcycles are used?
250cc and 125cc street bikes.

9. What happens during class?
The class is an intensive course designed to prepare you for the streets. It consists of both classroom and skills training.

10. How long are the classes?
Depends on class schedule and location. Total instruction time is 16 hours.
11. What kind of gear do I need to bring?
Students need to provide: Full fingered gloves, long sleeve shirt, long pants, high top shoes or boots that cover the ankle bone, D.O.T. certified full face or 3/4 helmet, Eye protection, Ample water or other liquids, and Snacks.

12. Does the class lead to a drivers license?
Individuals who have a valid motorcycle permit from the State of Hawaii and complete the course may be issued a form waiving the requirement for the HI skills test.

13. I am under 18 years old, what do I need before I take the course?
Those under 18 years old have additional requirement to both register for the course and to be issued a license waiver.
To Register:
  • You must have a valid Hawaii motorcycle issues at least 100 days prior to the start of the course
  • You will be required to have a parent/guardian sign the application form
  • On the first day of class you are required to have a parent/guardian present to sign the risk and release waiver
After completion:
Once you successfully complete the course, you will be given a log sheet, you must have a parent or guardian log your riding hours (40 hours minimum)  When the required hours are complete the parent/guardian must have the form notarized.
You must have completed the classroom portion of the State of Hawaii recognized driver education program.
Bring the following documents to the OCEWD Office:
  • Driver education classroom completion card
  • Notarized riding log
  • Learners Permit
  • MSF completion card
  • Once verified you will be issued a licensing waiver​
14. What happens if I do not pass the course?
Students that fully complete but do not pass are provided an opportunity to retake the course on a space available basis.